THIS WEEK AT IMMANUEL
- 9:00 AM—Divine Service with Holy Communion
- 10:30 AM—Bible Class & Christmas Program Practice
- 11:15 AM—Church Council Meeting
- 2:30 PM—Nursing Home Service
- 4:30 PM—Drive-through Live Nativity
- 5:00 PM—Board of Mission & Evangelism
- 6:00 PM—Board of Education
- 6:30 PM—Board of Trustees
- 7:00 PM—Board of Elders
- 9:00 am—Circuit Pastors’ Meeting
- 5:30 pm—Catechism Class
- 7:00 pm—Advent Midweek Service
- 3:30 pm—Individual Confession & Absolution
- 5:30 pm—Divine Service with Holy Communion
- 9:00 am—Divine Service with Holy Communion
- 10:20 AM—Bible Class & Christmas Program Practice
- 6:00 PM—Sunday School Christmas Service
IN OUR PRAYERS
HEALTH CONCERNS: Bernita Ashwill; Mindy Bell (friend of David Holzrichter); Dale Brown (friend of Margaret Stilwell); Burnie Campbell (father of Greg Campbell); Connie Hilgendorf Bruns (cousin of Mary Appleby); Jeff & Jo Coon (friend of David Holzrichter); Ellie Crawford (daughter of Laran Crawford); Whitney Czerwonka; Cindy Ekstrom; Theresa Fields; Jenna Gustafson; Jim Harbaugh; Rick Hardesty (family of the Hoels); Kim Hausman (friend of Ann Carroll); Deanna Henningsen (sister-in-law of Jerry & Joyce Alexander); Barbara Holste (friend of Arleigh & Mary Jane Jones); Mary Jane Jones; Pat Maree; Rev. Ted Mitchell (friend of Pastor Braaten); Kimberly Mulvany (daughter of Pastor Doug Meyer); Bill & Mary Negangard (grandparents of Bryce Reifsteck); Cary & Beth Rahn; Debbie Rahn (wife of Leroy Rahn); Thomas Roughton (infant son of John & Christine Roughton); Emma Silver; Ruth Sims; Ocil Slone (father of Carolyn Dyer); Joy Stenger; Brian Walker (uncle of Bryce Reifsteck); Irene Wattjes.
SEMINARY STUDENT: Gunnar Campbell; Logan Smith.
DEACONESS STUDENT: Emily McLean.
MISSIONARIES: Rev. Dr. Edward and Monica Naumann; Rev. Ryan and Emily McDermott; Julie Lutz.
HOMEBOUND: Bernita Ashwill; Leonard Boerngen; Mary Jane Jones; Janet Pollock; Art Rahn; Ruth Rentschler.
MILITARY: Carl Crawford; Jeremy Gordon; Jack Leonard; Jake Lindgren; Raymond Longtin; Joey Pollock; Chase Reifsteck; Blake Stokes; Paige Stokes; Ruben Wilson.
NEXT WEEK’S READINGS . . . Isaiah 40:1–8; 1 Corinthians 4:1–5; Matthew 11:2–10.
ABOUT THIS WEEK’S READINGS . . . The day on which our Lord returns will be a “great and awesome day” (Mal. 4:5). For He will come in a cloud with great power and glory. To the wicked and the proud, it will be a Day of judgment that will “set them ablaze” (Mal. 4:1). The signs preceding this Day will bring them fear and fainting. But to those who believe, who fear the name of the Lord, this Day is one to look forward to and rejoice in: “. . . straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near” (Luke 21:28). Christ our Redeemer is coming; the Sun of Righteousness will bring healing in His wings. Let us, then, give attention to the words of the Lord, which do not pass away. Let us “through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures” (Rom. 15:4) be strengthened in our hope by the Holy Spirit and watch diligently for Jesus’ coming. Then, by God’s grace, we shall escape all these things that will come to pass and stand before the Son of Man.
THOUGHTS ABOUT STEWARDSHIP . . . Romans 15:4 “For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction.” God’s Word was given to us to bless us. The Bible warns us of our sin and points us to Christ for our salvation. The Bible also instructs us as to how to live out our Christians lives—this is the “third use of the Law.” As Christians we should welcome this instruction in humble faith.
REMINDER: IMMANUEL BOARDS MEET . . . on Monday, December 9. If you have not done so already, please submit your 2020 budget request to the church office as soon as possible following your board meeting.
THE NEXT VOTERS’ ASSEMBLY MEETING . . . is Monday, December 16, 7:30 pm. Please submit Voters’ meeting material to the church office by Wednesday, December 11.
THE SUNDAY SCHOOL CHRISTMAS SERVICE . . . will be Sunday, December 15. The service is at 6:00 pm, followed by refreshments hosted by the Board of Education. Join us for a Christmas Service where our children will remind us of the real reason for the season with all your favorite Christmas hymns and then food and fellowship.
POINSETTIA ORDER FORMS . . . are available in the Narthex. Please complete and return them by next Sunday, December 15. Poinsettias are $14.00 this year and can be taken and enjoyed at home immediately following the Christmas Day service.
CHRISTMAS CARDS FOR SEMINARY STUDENTS . . . If you’d like to send Christmas greetings to our seminary students, their addresses are: Mr. Gunnar Campbell; Mr. Logan Smith, and Mrs. Emily McLean, at: 6600 North Clinton Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 46825-4996.
UPCOMING SPECIAL SERVICES AND EVENTS . . .
- Sunday, December 8, 10:30 am—Sunday School Christmas Service Practice
- Sunday, December 8, 4:30 pm—Drive-Through Live Nativity
- Wednesday, December 11, 7:00 pm—Advent Midweek Service
- Sunday, December 15, 10:30 am—Sunday School Christmas Service Practice
- Sunday, December 15, 6:00 pm—Sunday School Christmas Service
- Wednesday, December 18, 7:00 pm—Advent Midweek Service
- Tuesday, December 24, 7:00 pm—Christmas Eve Service with Communion
- Wednesday, December 25, 9:00 pm—Christmas Day Service with Communion
- Thursday, December 26—IMMANUEL OFFICES CLOSED
- Friday, December 27—IMMANUEL OFFICES CLOSED
- Tuesday, December 31, 7:00 pm—New Year’s Eve Divine Service with Communion
- Wednesday, January 1—IMMANUEL OFFICES CLOSED
- Mark Whitson (West)
- Dave & Michelle Stumeier (East)
- Jim Dyer (West)
- Jack & Mary Appleby (East)
- Kenny Kresin
- Donna Campbell; Lexie Russo
- Kenny Kresin
- Donna Campbell; Ava Whitson
- Jake Dyer (Crucifer)
- Jonathan Braaten (Torches)
- Isaak Burgener (Torches)
- Caiden Russo (Gospel)
- Coulson Poffenberger (Crucifer)
- Oliver Braaten (Torches)
- Trey Waldrop (Torches)
- Beau Whitson (Gospel)
- Greg & Celeste Nau—December
- Josh & Jaimee Whitson—January
- Sharon Allen—December
- Joan Vukelich—January